A Preserved Piece of
Chicago's Architecture History
Designed by Dankmar Adler and Louis Sullivan, the Schiller Theater Building stood at 64 East Randolph Street in downtown Chicago. Originally built for the German Opera Company, it was among the tallest buildings in the city at the time of completion in 1891.
The main attraction of the building, a 1,300-seat theater with ornate cast and painted decorative panels and high arches, underwent a few changes to its name and function over the years. The theater was named Dearborn Theater between 1898 and 1903 until it was decided on Garrick Theater. In the 1930s, the building was acquired by Balaban & Katz who turned it into a movie theater due to the increased demand for motion pictures. In the 1950s, the theater became a TV studio before it was reverted back to a movie theater in 1957.
Despite the turbulent history it was subjected to, the original decoration in the theater by Adler & Sullivan remained largely intact until the demolition in 1961.